Choosing the right car seat for is crucial when it comes to his or her safety. The best seat should be the right size that fits your child perfectly. Also, it should be easy to install and use, and should also fit your car perfectly. It is imperative always to ensure that your baby is securely strapped in your car’s seat whenever you are traveling with him or her. Here below are some essential tips for choosing a car baby seat:
Choosing the right baby’s car seat
There is a wide variety of car baby seats on the market, and this can make it quite difficult to make the right choice. However, don’t get overwhelmed; just consider the following:
- The weight and height of your baby,
- His or her age,
- Whether the particular car seat you intend to buy meets all the safety standards requirements.
Evaluating the quality of the car seat
The quality of your car baby seat is of utmost importance. You don’t want to buy a seat that will compromise his or her safety or one that is likely to last for only a short period. To ensure that you buy the best car baby seat, consider the following:
- Safety label: The seat’s safety label should state whether it meets the necessary safety standards requirements,
- Harness: The best car baby seat should ideally come with a 5- point harness because it offers better protection to your child compared to a 3-point harness.
- Ratings: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Rating system for ease of use should ideally have a 5-star rating for the best car baby seat. A seat that has a rating of 4 to 5 stars is associated with clear instructions and is also easy to use.
Is the car baby seat new or second hand
It is always best to buy a new car baby seat for your baby. If for any reason you want to buy a used one, ensure that you check with NHTSA, through its website, whether or not the particular seat has been recalled. If it has been recalled, call the manufacturer to confirm if it is still safe to use. Also, don’t buy any second-hand seat if:
- It has been in an accident,
- It has torn or torn parts,
- It shows obvious signs of being worn out
Choosing a seat with two-piece retainer clips
A car baby seat that comes with this feature is more difficult for your child to unfasten. The two-piece clips are designed in such a way that they require some ingenuity and dexterity to unfasten them. They help enhance the safety of your child because he or she cannot climb out the seat easily.
Choosing a seat that is easy to clean
Go for a car baby seat is are made from a smooth fabric as opposed to the one made from textured fabric, including corduroy. Seats made from smooth fabric are quite easy to clean because you only need to wipe them clean using a wet piece of clothing or other material, such as a small towel. Seats made from textured materials are difficult to clean and also take a lot of your time.
Following the above-mentioned tips will help make it easier for you to choose the best car baby seat for your child.